Full STEAM Ahead – A partnership approach to STEAM in Youthreach
Youthreach is a nationwide programme that provides early school leavers with opportunities to progress their education and acquire certification in supportive, alternative settings. It is a crucial part of the education sector with almost 6,000 learners. There is considerable interest within Youthreach in developing and expanding the STEAM education currently on offer.
This two-year project (2021- 2023) will support this by:
- Developing, testing and embedding a 21st century STEAM education model (aligned with QQIL3, QQIL4 and LCA of the National Qualifications Framework) in three Youthreach centres.
- Providing up to 120 hours of STEAM education to 60 young people in three Youthreach centres.
- Engaging 1,500 young people in hands-on, inspiring extra-curricular STEAM projects (in the wider Youthreach sector).
- Enhancing links between industries providing STEAM apprenticeships and three Youthreach centres.
- Developing educational management, teaching and extra-curricular resources and disseminating them to the wider Youthreach sector through a national event, web-presence, regional seminars, online trainings and consultancy support.
This project is funded by the Science Foundation of Ireland. It is a partnership project between NYCI, Ballymun Youthreach (City of Dublin ETB), Tuam Youthreach (Galway Roscommon ETB), Shanagolden Youthreach (Limerick and Clare ETB), the National Co-ordination Unit, Office of the National Co-ordinator for Youthreach/VTOS and CASTeL, DCU (the Centre for the Advancement of STEM Teaching and Learning).