About the Opportunity
We’re excited to be rolling out our new “Local Champions” initiative, to support our national campaign to increase investment in youth work funding – Youth Work Changes Lives.
We are recruiting “Local Champions”, young people who have benefited from youth work who will advocate in their communities to ensure youth work funding is firmly placed on the political agenda.
NYCI will work with public affairs professionals to deliver a tailored training programme across the first months of 2023 to empower young people involved with our members to act as advocates in their communities.
From there you will use the skills you have learned to lobby your local TDs and bring the impact of youth work home to your elected representatives.
How to apply
Apply to become a Local Champion using the online application form below.
Deadline for applications: 21st December
Successful applicants will be announced in the new year after a brief interview process.
To support those applying, we will also be holding briefing sessions ahead of the registration deadline. For NYCI members on December 6th @ 16:00 (online) and for young people (under 30) interested in becoming local champions on December 13th @ 17:30 (online).
Confirm your place at a briefing session.
If you have any questions in the meantime, don’t hesitate to contact Paul@nyci.ie
Why should I apply?
Through our tailored training and ongoing support, Local Champions will gain skills in: advocacy; how to communicate political campaigns; and how to work with and influence politicians.
This programme will give young people who have engaged with our members practical opportunities to;
- get first-hand experience of the political system;
- learn the importance of local politics and local action;
- develop valuable communication and persuasion skills;
- meet other like-minded young people and;
- give voice to your experience of youth work in support of the Youth Work Changes Lives campaign.
What will I be doing?
- Local Champions will have the chance to attend at least 4 online training modules (evenings) and 1 in-person event in Dublin between January and March 2023. (At the in-person session you will learn lobbying tips from politicians themselves and get a tour of Leinster House).
- You will contact your local TDs and meet some of them between May and July 2023.
- Spread the word on and offline and show others the value of youth work in whatever other creative ways you feel inspired to do after our trainings!
Is this for me?
We are looking for as wide a geographical spread and as diverse a group of Local Champions as possible.
Are you under 30? Are you, or have you been, involved in youth work? Are you interested in learning more about sharing how great youth work is with your local TDs? If so, then this opportunity is for you!