STEAM training for Youth Workers, Arts practitioners and other educators – Laois/Offaly
September 30, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm IST€50
The training on 29th September is now booked out so we are running it again on 30th September to safely accommodate additional practitioners
During this innovative course, you will undertake a range of STEAM* activities that you can build into courses, programmes and projects for young people in a variety of non-formal and formal educational settings. You will acquire a range of skills, knowledge, resources and equipment needed to facilitate high-quality STEAM learning experiences with young people.
- develop your understanding of what STEAM is and how it can be used to enable young people to gain transferrable 21st century skills (creativity and imagination; collaboration and teamwork; problem-solving and critical thinking)
- design and build scribble robots, mini-robot bugs, playback recorders, electronic musical instruments, Makey Makeycircuits and more
- gain an understanding of the fundamentals of the science underpinning such activities and the confidence to explain it to young people in ways that spark their curiosity
- develop STEAM technical skills that can be passed on to young people (such as soldering and circuitry)
- develop creative new STEAM approaches that can be used to enhance your practice
- begin designing and planning STEAM courses, programmes and projects.
Following the training you will have access to resources (activity guides, logic models and equipment lists), networking and peer learning opportunities and discounted rates at further STEAM trainings.
On completion of the first training day, participants will be invited to submit proposals to Laois Offaly Local Creative Youth Partnership for a small grant for a starter Creative STEAM project, to be delivered by Friday, 11th December 2020.
Training is subject to government guidelines, as available at https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/c36c85-covid-19-coronavirus/. Information in the latest version of government guidelines, supersedes on this page.
*STEAM is the acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics
CAPACITY & VENUE
The Killeshin Hotel Portlaois, Dublin Rd, Ballyroan, Portlaoise, Co. Laois, R32 TYW7
This training and support package is heavily subsidised by the Science Foundation of Ireland and Laois Offaly Local Creative Youth Partnership costing only €50/person.
29th/30th September (day 1) & 20th October 2020 (day 2), 9.30am – 5.00pm
- It is really important that you bring a laptop with you. Please get in touch if this is not possible.
- Participants will be required to wear face coverings unless there are reasonable, medically confirmed reasons for not wearing them (e.g. illnesses, communication challenges, breathing difficulties).
The course is open to Youth Workers, Art Practitioners and other Educators in Laois and Offaly working with young people in the 10 – 20 age cohort, in non-formal and formal educational settings, such as within Youth Work/Creative Youth settings, Youthreach and Community Training Centres, who wants to:
- enhance the STEAM offer provided to young people;
- integrate STEAM into existing courses, programmes and projects, or;
- develop and deliver creative, inspiring extra-curricular STEAM activities.