- This event has passed.
Skills Summary in Youth Work training in Dublin
September 16 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pm ISTFree
This 3.5 hour in-person training is for all who would like to explore the potential of the digital Skills Summary tool for your youth work practice – whether you’re doing activities face to face or online. The training will help you to support your young people in realising the strengths they have and in finding a language around their transferable life skills. It will also help you to learn how to measure the impact of your projects with Skills Summary.
The skills people gain through youth work are skills for life. Skills Summary is a fun way for young people to explore these skills, recognise their strengths and identify areas that need development.
Skills Summary is an easy to use online tool that captures the transferrable life skills young people gain by participating in non-formal education, such as volunteering, youth work and other out-of-school opportunities. It helps young people understand these skills and helps them acquire the language around them, which builds confidence and enables them to talk about their skills in a way that sounds great to future employers. Skills Summary comes to life when we support young people to build a connection between their experiences, the learning that happens in youth organisations, and how the tool can be a very useful and worthwhile place to capture skills development.
With Skills Summary young people can:
- Learn about a range of life skills, including leadership, problem solving, teamwork, and more
- Identify their key strengths as well as areas that need development
- Develop job interview skills
- Build an online profile to track career progress
- Gather endorsements to help develop a winning CV
- Get advice on how to increase their employability
- Do all of the above for free!
Benefits of Skills Summary for youth organisations and everyone working with young people:
- It values youth work
- It helps you capture the work you’re already doing!
- It’s flexible and can be used in many ways and for many different purposes (e.g. as a helpful dialog tool between you and a young person, for supervision and continuous professional development CPD, it can even be used in recruitment)
- Captures `7 Personal & Social Developmental Outcomes` of DCEDIY
- Gives a record of the outcomes of your work and helps you measure impact
Free of charge
- Get an understanding of Skills Summary and its positive potential
- Learn how to support young people in finding a language around their life skills
- Identify needs and discuss how this tool can support youth work practice
- Explore the features of the tool
- Learn how to use Skills Summary as a measurement tool
Youth workers and those working with young people. No prior knowledge of the Skills Summary tool required!
Participants would need to bring own internet-enabled device (smart phone, tablet computer, laptop).