NUI Certificate in Global Youth Work and Development Education
March 27 - November 28
The new NUI Certificate in Global Youth Work and Development Education is a Level 8, Special Purpose award delivered by the National Youth Council of Ireland in partnership with the National University of Ireland, Maynooth. Aimed at those working in the youth sector, this course will be of interest to anyone looking to develop knowledge, skills and competence in the areas of global youth work and development education practice in youth settings.
Apply for NUI Cert in Global Youth Work and Development Education
Application Form must be submitted by 5pm on 31st January, 2020. Application Forms received after this deadline will not be considered.
Block 1 – Friday 27th March, Saturday 28th March
Block 2 – Friday 24th April, Saturday 25th April
Block 3 – Friday 29th May, Saturday 30th May
Block 4 – Summer School: Thursday 25th – Saturday 27th June
Block 5 – Friday 25th September, Saturday 26th September
Block 6 – Friday 23rd October, Saturday 24th October
Block 7 – Friday 27th November, Saturday 28th November
15 days: 6 blocks of 2 days from March – November 2020, with a 3 day Summer School in June.
The programme encourages, supports and facilitates youth organisations to become effective settings for global youth work and development education practice.
- Develop a critical understanding of the key concepts that underpin global youth work and development education as a practice.
- Map the inter-connections between the national and international bodies and instruments that provide a framework for development education.
- Be able to demonstrate key skills in global youth work and development education.
- Support the inclusion of development education and global youth work in youth work settings.
Participants who undertake this programme will
- Critically reflect on dynamic personal values, attitudes and behaviours and individual relationships to a personal sense of global citizenship.
- Examine and reflect on concepts of an interconnected, interdependent and unequal world.
- Engage and critically reflect on non-formal and transformative learning methodologies and approaches.
- Engage with development education pedagogy and a range of development education/global youth work themes.
- Engage with a wide range of creative tools and processes within a youth work delivery context.
- Take part in development education practice linked to the Youth 2030 network.
- Be encouraged to suspend assumptions and expectations about development education pedagogy in order to create space to experience (without pre-determining) a little of what it can do at personal and collective level.
THIS COURSE WILL BE OF INTEREST TO
- Those who are experienced youth workers, working in the youth sector and want to deepen their insight into global youth work and increase their development education competency.
- Youth work volunteers who wish to develop their understanding of global justice and development education issues and apply this in their work with young people.
- Youth workers/youth educators who want to shape organisational youth work practice and policy in the area of development education.
Accreditation and Continued Professional Development
This is a Level 8, Special Purpose award accredited by National University of Ireland.
Maynooth University, Department of Applied Social Studies
Laraghbryan House, North Campus, Maynooth University, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland.
YOUTH 2030: The National Youth Development Education Programme
The new Certificate in Global Youth Work and Development Education is offered as part of the National Youth Development Education Programme “Youth 2030” which is a partnership between the National Youth Council of Ireland, Maynooth University, Trócaire, Concern and Irish Aid.
The National Youth Council of Ireland (NYCI) is working in consortia with Concern Worldwide, Maynooth University, and Trócaire to deliver Development Education in the Youth Sector. This Programme is running from December 2018 until December 2021 for the capacity development of the youth sector in the area of Development Education.