Climate Justice Project: 2021
Future Generations – Climate Justice Project seeks to explore and highlight the systemic and human rights issues related to the climate crisis.
With this partnership, we will bring the unique voices of young people who are missing from the climate discourse. Young people from marginalised, rural, and disadvantaged backgrounds are often left out of the conversation and their reality is oftentimes not represented in national and global policies as a result.
Our project will specifically address this by:
- Creating the space for young people to explore the topic of Climate Justice
- Recognising the different layers of discriminations that exist in the climate crisis debate
- Supporting young people to develop the skills they need to be advocates of climate justice
- Empowering young people to take on a local/regional response to climate justice
- To facilitate a global response to climate justice by including youth voices from the global south
What is the Climate Justice Charter?
Climate Justice Charter
The Climate Justice Charter is a tool that supports youth organisations to contribute to the systemic change needed.
By signing up to the charter, your organisation commits to uphold climate justice principles and work alongside others in the Climate Justice Charter community to promote climate justice principles.
Resource: How to Create Change at the Local Level
The aim of this resource is to support young people’s understanding of how they can create meaningful change at the local level, particularly with regards to climate change and climate justice.
After reading this resource you should understand:
- How local level government operates in Ireland, and how beneficial action at a local level is to national and international issues
- What meaningful participation should look like, and how to hold institutions accountable if they do not practice meaningful participation for young people
- How to identify different interest groups and stakeholders within your locality, so that you have allies in your push for change
Full Workshop on ‘Our Carbon Footprint’
The 2021 iteration of the Future Generations: Climate Justice Project was a consortium project between the National Youth Council of Ireland (lead agency), Macra na Feirme, Sphere17 Regional Youth Facility, YMCA Ireland, and 1Planet4All (Concern Worldwide) It was funded by the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Irish Aid, and Concern Worldwide’s 1Planet4All Project (EU).