We are delighted to be partnering with TASC (Think-thank for Action on Social Change) on a virtual round table event in the series Reclaiming Politics.
Through engaging young politicians, activists and community leaders, these round tables will explore how young people in Ireland today relate to traditional politics and how they perceive Irish politics will evolve in the future.
Younger generations are facing multiple challenges early in their lives including:
- Ongoing pandemic and recession with consequences for job opportunities
- Climate catastrophe and limited action to mitigate its effects
- Rise of populism and authoritarian politics around the world
At the same time, we are seeing increasing numbers of young people leading and participating in movements that support progressive causes, for instance, the climate strikes, Black Lives Matter and housing action campaigns.
Panel of speakers to date:
- Mairéad Farrell ,TD Sinn Féin
- Senator Malcolm Byrne, Fianna Fáil
- Aoife Grace Moore (Irish Examiner)
- Amanda Ade, Black Lives Matter Activist
- Toto Daly, Students Climate Action Network
Moderator: Marie-Claire McAleer, Head of Research and Policy, National Youth Council of Ireland