In this submission, NYCI outlines what we believe to be priorities for Government action and spending in order to protect real needs and essential services:
1. Youth Work Funding
- Assist the youth work sector to support the most vulnerable and marginalised young people through the recession by increasing funding by €3m.
2. Education, Training and Activation Measures.
- Increase the number of places on Youthreach by 500.
3. Youth Unemployment
- Increase the number of Employment Support Officers.
- Increase scrutiny, monitoring and evaluation of JobBridge.
4. Child Poverty
- Maintain the current rate of Child Benefit for 2012.
- Maintain the real value of the Qualified Child Increase for 2012.
5. Reducing Alcohol Related Harm
- Reform excise licence duty so off-trade alcohol retailers pay duty based on sales like on-trade rather than at a flat rate. We estimate this would raise €3m for the exchequer.