This is the first time that any research has been conducted on the lived experience of young unemployed people in Ireland. The results provide a worrying and shocking insight into the difficulties faced by young jobseekers across the country.
The main findings from the research include:
- All respondents agreed that the prospect for securing rewarding employment in Ireland is not very good.
- 70% agreed that is likely they will emigrate in the next 12 months.
- 90% agreed that being unemployed has a negative effect on my sense of wellbeing.
- Only 32% awarded a mid-point satisfaction with their meeting with Social Welfare.
- Half of the respondents rated the quality of the information or support provided with a Job Facilitator at Social Welfare as unsatisfactory to poor.